Perfecting a green smoothie has been on everyone’s cooking bucket list lately. And I rather feel it’s like marmite – you either love it or you hate it. Some people don’t think a smoothie should be green. Others love the colour because it makes them feel healthy! I was just curious what all the fuss was about, and it turns out that I quite enjoy a green smoothie.
You see, you look at a green smoothie and instantly think of Shrek, am I right?! But, it sure is tasty! And Shrek’s not very scary anyway, is he? I have used several combinations to make a green smoothie. And I think this is my favourite!
Green smoothie recipe
Serves 2, Calories: no idea but it’s healthy
1 cup of pineapple or mango
1 cup of spinach
Approx. 200 ml almond milk
1 cup of ice cubes
1) Put all the ingredients in a blender and pulse to combine. Gradually increase the speed until it reaches the highest setting and the smoothie is all nice and blended. If it’s too thick, add some more almond milk or water.
- Try adding pea protein for an added punch of protein.
- Try adding spirulina or chlorella powder. They’re both full of nutrients and anti-inflammatory stuff. I won’t bore you with the details – just google it, my friend.
- Instead of a nut milk, you could use aloe vera juice. It adds to the overall sweet taste and maybe your drink won’t end up so … Shrek-like.
Why I used the ingredients I did
- Banana: for the sweetness and creamy texture
- Avocado: for silkiness and also a healthy source of fat
- Mango/ pineapple: for sweetness and vitamin C
- Almond milk: I just think it tastes better than normal milk. Also adds to the creamy consistency.
- Spinach: well it’s a green smoothie … no but seriously, because it’s healthy AF and we should all be eating it
- Ice: to make the drink nice and frosty and also to thicken
Read more from me:
- 2020: Has Anyone Actually Had a Good Year?Is it COVID-19? Or is 2020 just cursed? I’ve had a horrendous year, how about you?
- Green smoothiePerfecting a green smoothie has been on everyone’s cooking bucket list lately. And I rather feel it’s like marmite – you either love it or you hate it. Some people don’t think a smoothie should […]
- Healthyish chocolate smoothie recipeMy boyfriend bought me a blender in the summer, and boy oh boy, did he get his money’s worth. My Instagram must’ve been so full of images of the same glass bottle filled with various colours of thick, luscious drinks …
- Going home and then coming homeWhen you settle abroad, that place then becomes your home. But the best part about it is that you also have this other original home that’s just a flight away.
- LIFE LESSON: KNOW YOUR WORTHI learnt something in my working life lately. I have not been working with my worth in mind. And only after being burnt do I now realise my mistake.